Brian Kim, a Liaison Officer at the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center at Offutt Air Force Base, joined SCOLA for our 2013 Users Meeting. This week, Brian kindly answered some questions for us about language learning:
– What do you think is the biggest challenge for language learners today?
Trying to sort through myriad of available technologies to select the “best” one for one’s own target language training
– What is the best tip you can give to language learners?
Be persistent and proactive in increasing your exposure to the (high quality) target language!
– Why is being multilingual important?
Too many to list!
– What is the greatest benefit of using technology to learn a language?
It enables easy integration of authentic materials into the lesson.
What inspired you to pursue a career in the language field?
– My own bilingual/immigrant upbringing. Having had such a difficult time picking up English has encouraged me to help others who are having difficulty acquiring a new language.
SCOLA is happy to have contacts such as Brian to share with us his opinions on why language learning is important. Stay tuned for more posts from language experts.